Sunday, April 20, 2008

UNKNOWN FEAR





each soul stands alone throughout existence
throughout time, forgotten by all who cared
randomly snatching with god's assistance
from the innocent to those who dared
it leaves all families with remorse and despair
it brings fear for what the future might hold
emotions of sadness are brought to bear
hearts near to the dead become frozen cold

death; a shadow lingering from afar
death; a stalker in arms reach of pouncing
death; a finish line beyond what is far
death; a public showing of denouncing

The loss of life is expected with fear
Death being unknown is all that is clear



Have you ever been bored to the point where you just ponder about your life- How it is going? What's in store for the future? And even how it will end? Well that last question, always sends a spark of fear to my entire body. It not only scares me, but it terrifies me. I try to imagine not living anymore, and not being apart of the world, but I just make myself refuse that it will never happen. Death is the one fear, I hope to never overcome.
Due to death being such a fear of mines, I decided to suggest it to my partner as a possible subject to write about. Our teacher thought it would be a perfect topic in terms of creating a deep, thoughtful, and meaningful sonnet. Sonnets are usually written about love, because they "reflect the way people think about ideas of love." Love is a topic every individual feels strongly about, can relate to, and has an exuberant passion for, so for myself, the topic I feel passionate about, is my fright of death. In the end, this became our topic, and we began putting ideas to pencil to paper.
At first attempts, we had no idea on how to begin, even with our teacher going over the guidelines of a sonnet, so we referenced our Handbook of Poetic Forms. This book consists of almost every type of poetry ever created, with information on how to create a specific type pf poetry, and examples for us to read. We read and read, and we realized that a sonnet is not much different from basic poetry, meaning that each stanza represents a different idea based upon subject, and that the last stanza sums up what were trying to portray.
We began our sonnet by saying in our first two stanza's how it affects an individual. We touched upon how death takes anybody, and how it leaves that person distant from his old life. We shared how families become torn emotionally, and how sadness sweeps all who have ever been associated with the person. Lastly, we talked about how death in the long run, leaves you forgotten- from the earth, its people, and from yourself.
Death to me is like a spirit seizing the weak, so I came up with the next stanza, putting death in a metaphorical context, calling it a shadow, a stalker, a finish line, and an emotion. I thought this fit in to my sonnet, showing death in different ways, because to different people it affects us differently; some become joyous, others sad, some contribute, while others distance ourselves from it. In general, death can be anything we want it to be, or it wants itself to be.
Finally, our ending stanza, takes all the information we gave to the reader about death, and gives off the simple purpose of why we chose to write this sonnet. When actually dissecting our feelings, we don't actually fear death itself, but fear the unknown that comes with death, because all death is, is an unknown. It gives us a worry in the back of our minds, but we actually don't know, what specifically that worry is. "Death being unknown is all that is clear."
Based on this, analysis and writing, my whole point in hopes for the reader wasn't to show you that I live my entire live in fear or to scare you, because that is actually the contrary. I wake up each morning with gratitude, realizing that this unknown has given me another day atop this earth, and it is not yet my time. I then try and use this gift I am given to the best of my abilities, by living life to its fullest. All one can ever know is that someday, that worry in the back of our minds regarding death will become a reality. So don't live in fear of something you know so little about.

No comments: